Pokecoins are extremely rare commodities in Pokemon Go. They can be used to buy a variety of things. They also represent the in-game currency that you buy with real money. There is at least one other way to earn Pokecoins and we’ll show you how to do it. Please note, virtually any other way not described here is either a scam or cheating.
The first and most obvious way to get Pokecoins is to buy them. You can access this option in the Shop below all of the other things that you can buy with coins. PokeCoins on their own can be purchased for real-world money as per the following prices :
|PokeCoin Amount||Price ($)|
How to Get Free PokéCoins
In addition, there is one more way of obtaining PokeCoins that does not involve real money. Once the trainer has reached level 5 and chosen a Gym Team, the player can head to either an unclaimed Gym or Gym of the same color, and help defend the gym by placing a Pokemon in the gym.
Once any amount of Pokemon are placed into gyms to defend, check the Shop page and look for a shield icon in the top right. The number inside will list the number of Pokemon you have defending gyms, and once every 21 hours, a Defender Bonus will reward the player with PokeCoins and Stardust, increasing the amount for each additional Pokemon currently defending a gym.
If the gyms aren’t allowing new pokemon to defend them, the player must train to increase the gym’s prestige and increase the Gym Level, to allow more slots for Pokemon.
What can you buy with Pokecoins?
Just in case you’re new to the game, we’ll quickly go over the things you can actually buy with Pokecoins:
- Poke Balls – 20 Poke Balls for 100 coins, 100 Poke Balls for 460 coins, 200 Poke Balls for 800 coins.
- Incense – One Incense for 80 coins, eight Incense for 500 coins, 25 Incense for 1250 coins.
- Lucky Egg – One Lucky Egg for 80 coins, eight Lucky Eggs for 500 coins, 25 Lucky Eggs for 1250 coins.
- Lure Module – One Lure Module for 100 coins, eight Lure Modules for 680 coins.
- Egg Incubator – 150 coins, lasts for three uses.
- Bag Upgrade – 200 coins, increases your item storage by 50 slots.
- Pokemon Storage Upgrade – 200 coins, increases how many Pokemon you can carry by 50.
Pokecoins are a valuable resource and they’re exceeding rare (and expensive!). Thus, make sure you spend them wisely. If you have any stories, tips, or tricks regarding Pokecoins, tell us about them in the comments!