Following the “Make in India” initiative by the government of India, Asus is now planning to manufacture the recently launched Asus Zenfone 3 Max in India. The Taiwanese smartphone maker announced in a press statement that it will manufacture the smartphone at its facility in Daman (Union Territory of Daman and Diu) and the production will start from December 2016, the company said in a statement.
Asus India has stated that the Zenfone 3 Max has received a good response from the domestic audience and hence to meet the expected demand of the smartphone the Make in India move is instigated.
“Besides our headquarters, Taiwan, India is amongst the most important markets for us and we are constantly looking to strengthen our presence and operations in the country. We are excited to announce another smartphone that will be manufactured locally, apart from Zenfone 2 Laser and Zenfone Go. India is on its way to becoming a world leader in mobile phone manufacturing and we are proud to contribute to such a dynamic economy.”
– Peter Chang, Region Head – South Asia & Country Manager, ASUS India
Asus Zenfone 3 is a metal-clad smartphone sporting a sandblasted aluminum alloy unibody design. The smartphone comes in two variants — 5.5-inch (ZC553KL) and 5.2-inch (ZC520TL) — and features 16MP/8MP and 13MP/5MP rear+front cameras, respectively and sports 2.5D contoured glass touchscreen and houses a 4,100mAh battery.
The two variants of Zenfone 3 Max, will be available in three metallic colours – Titanium Gray, Glacier Silver, and Sand Gold. It is available through online shopping portals at a price of ₹12,999 (~$189).
Xiaomi is also manufacturing in the country under a similar partnership with Foxconn. Chinese telecom giant Huawei also partnered with Flextronics International to manufacture their smartphones in India and Gionee and Vivo already have their manufacturing facilities operational in Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh respectively. Samsung builds its India centric smartphone out of Noida, UP and currently announced to invest ₹19.7 billion (~$287 million) under an MoU with the state government.
Features of the Asus Zenfone 3 Max:
- Finely sandblasted aluminium-alloy body with rounded edges, 2.5D contoured display glass touchscreen and diamond-cut chamfered edges.
- The smartphone features extraordinary 16MP/8MP (5.5”- ZC553KL) and 13MP/5MP (5.2”-ZC520TL) rear + front cameras that deliver crystal clear images.
- The 16MP f2.0 camera of the Zenfone 3 Max ZC553KL also features an advanced triple technology autofocus system – laser, phase detection and conventional contrast detection for continuous auto-focus – which ensures a super fast focus time of 0.03 seconds.
- Electronic image stabilization (EIS) system counteracts hand movements to ensure the resulting videos are stable and shake-free.
- Both versions are equipped with a 4100 mAh lithium-polymer battery
- OTG cable for reverse charging and File Transfers.
- Fingerprint sensor registers up to five separate fingerprints
- CPU: Qualcomm MSM8916 QuadCore 1.2GHz
- GPU: Adreno 306
- Memory: RAM 2GB / 3GB LPDDR3
- Storage: 16GB eMCP Flash and 5GB free lifetime ASUS WebStorage.
- Memory Slot: MicroSD card (up to 64 GB)
- Battery: 4100mAh (non-removable)