Honor, a sub-brand of the Chinese manufacturer Huawei, waved something of a magic at a press event on Thursday, when it announced the Honor Magic, a smartphone equipped with artificially intelligent assistant that aims to anticipate your needs before you do. “The Honor Magic […] marks the culmination of Honor’s extended R&D efforts in bringing the best of technology to its customers,” Huawei said in a statement.
Huawei Honor Magic is priced at 3699 yuan (approx $531.89/₹36,108) in China and will be available starting 8pm today(China time).
The device will be available from several retailers including Vmall.com, JD.com, Tmall.com and Suning.com. The Honor Magic comes in Golden Black and Porcelain White colour variant but sadly, Huawei has no plans to sell the smartphone anywhere outside its home country, China.
Huawei Honor Magic : Specs
|Display||5.09-inch AMOLED display
2560 x 1440 resolution
|Processor||2.3GHz octa-core Huawei Kirin 950|
|Cameras||Rear: 12MP dual lens sensor with an f/2.2 aperture
Front: 8MP sensor with an f/2.0 aperture
MicroUSB (USB 2.0)
GPS/AGPS/Glonass/BeiDou Navigation Satellite System
|Sensors||Hall effect sensor
Ambient light sensor
Phone status indicator
|Software||Android 6.0 Marshmallow
Honor Magic Live
|Colors||Golden Black, Porcelain White|
|Dimensions and weight||146.1 x 69.9 x 7.8mm
The Honor Magic comes with a 5.0-inch AMOLED display with a screen resolution of 2560×1440. The device is powered by the company’s in-house octa-core Huawei Kirin 950 processor clocked at 2.3GHz. The phone is backed by 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage. On the Magic’s rear is a 12-megapixel dual-lens sensor with a f/2.2 aperture. It, much like the dual-camera sensor on the Honor 8, captures a black-and-white and color image simultaneously to produce “clearer” and more “vibrant” images than single-sensor modules are capable. The front is laced with an 8-megapixel shooter. On the Magic’s accented aluminium sides are a power button, volume rocker, loudspeaker, and requisite 3.5mm audio and microUSB ports.
Powering the Magic’s components is a 2,900mAh battery that supports Huawei Magic Power, a proprietary rapid charging technology enabled by “new battery materials.” Thanks to the Magic’s “graphite molecular structure” and charging circuit design, Huawei said that it can juice up to 70 percent capacity in 20 minutes, or up to 40 percent capacity in 10 minutes.
Huawei Honor Magic : Standout features
The Magic’s true secret sauce lies in its software: Honor Magic Live, a proprietary operating system that drives predictive features with “human-like interactions.” According to Zhao Ming, Head of Honor Business, the Honor Magic relies heavily on artificial intelligence that will help it know who you are, what you do and what you might want to do. The company released some examples of how this AI technology will work with the phone:
- Apart from the front fingerprint sensor, Honor Magics scans your face using infrared sensor to double check your identity before unlocking the phone.
- The message displayed on the lock screen will only appear when the phone has verified your identity otherwise it will show a blank screen. This means that others will not able to see your messages without your permission.
- GPS adds additional functionality to calendar and other apps by pull up information like maps, directions, temperature. It can even pop up boarding pass when one reaches airport if online check-in has been done.
- If it’s dark, the phone will automatically show up a flashlight option. You can decide if you want to turn it on or off.
- Imagine when you are chatting about movies with your friends on Wechat, Honor Magic will then be able to recommend the latest blockbusters for you.
- Imagine when you are on the road, Honor Magic automatically recognizes that you are driving and will prompt a reminder for you to switch the device to driving mode.
- DeepThink – Press and hold the home button and Honor Magic will offer multi-facet information based on the current webpage you visit.
- Once you use Honor Magic to order a cab, the driver’s license plate information will be shown on the display under locked screen mode.
- Once you arrive at the theatre, Honor Magic will automatically display the ticket booking number.
- When you approach the parcel collection counter, Honor Magic will automatically display the tracking number.
It’s clear Huawei doesn’t expect much in sales with this concept phone, much like Xiaomi didn’t expect much from the Mi MIX. The Honor Magic however is not just a bezel-less monster but so much more.
George Zhao, president of Honor, said in a statement. “Through this launch, we at Honor are telling our fans around the globe that we are genuinely committed to challenging ourselves and willing to disrupt the status quo to ultimately be able to bring the best mobile internet experience to them.” It’s disappointing that Huawei wouldn’t be bringing the phone outside China but its always a possibility that Huawei includes some or all of the features from the Honor Magic into other smartphones by them.
What do you think of the Honor Magic?